Belize International Business Company Legislation
Its laws are based on British Common Law and International Business Companies are governed by the International Business Companies Act of 1990.
Time to Incorporate
Incorporation takes between 2-3 working days.
Corporation Structure of a Belize IBC
- Only one director required – can be an individual or corporate
- Only one shareholder required – can be an individual or corporate
- A director can be a shareholder and vice versa
- No requirement for Belize residency for shareholder(s) and director(s)
- A secretary is not required
Confidential and Privacy
The names of the Director(s) and Shareholder(s) of the Company are not filed with the Registrar of International Business Companies in Belize, therefore no information on the beneficiaries is on the public record. Nominee services are permitted if required.
Share Capital of a Belize IBC
- Standard share capital is US$50,000 divided into 50,000 shares of US$1 each
- Shares may be issued with or without par value
- At least one share must be issued
- Bearer shares are permitted, but they must be held by the Registered Agent at the Registered Office
The IBC Act of 1990 states International Business Companies are exempt from all taxes and stamp duties in Belize.
Financial Statement and Company Records
- There are no filings to the authorities in Belize after the Company has been incorporated
- A share register for the Company must be kept but need not be held in Belize
Meetings of Belize IBC Shareholder(s) and Director(s)
- Meetings of shareholder(s) and/or director(s) are not required.
- If a meeting is held it need not be in Belize and participants can attend by telephone.
Doing business using a Belize IBC
A Belize IBC can carry out any legal business and/or investment activity worldwide, they may not offer bank, insurance or trust services without prior authorization from the Belize International Financial Services Commission.
Generally Belize IBC´s cannot do business with Belize residents or corporations.
The Belize IBC Incorporation package includes:
- First year government filing fees
- Certificate of Incorporation
- Memorandum and Articles of Association
- Letter of appointment of first director
- Nominee shareholder details (if required)
- Declaration of Trust from the nominee shareholder (if a nominee shareholder is required).
- Minutes of the first meeting of the founders
- Share Certificates
- Register of Shareholders
- Register of Directors
- Registered agent services, (first year)
- Registered office, (first year)
- International express delivery by FedEx or DHL
The company may not use a name identical or similar to an existing company so as to cause confusion. The use of the following words is also prohibited: Bank, Trust, Trustees, Insurance, Assurance, Reinsurance, Building Society, Savings, Loans, Chamber of Commerce, University, Municipal or equivalents in foreign languages. Names must end with one of the following suffixes or an abbreviation thereof:
- Limited or Ltd.
- Corporation or Corp.
- Incorporated or Inc.
- Society Anonyme or S.A.
- Sociedad Anonima or S.A.
- Besioten Vennootshcap or B.V.
- Naamloze Vennootshcap or NV
Any name implying a relationship with banking or insurance or company management industries- e.g. bank, financial, trust and insurance will need prior approval from the Registrar or application for a separate license.